Spam, Sign up etc.

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 am

As you may have seen there have been many spam posts recently on the forum. To try and find a workable solution I am trialing a number of new additions.

1) I have added Jont to the mods list to give a helping hand - welcome on board Jont.
2) Custom question on registration that needs to be confirmed / answered
3) There is a large IP ban list now in use.
4) All signups and posts are now automatically checked against spamhaus.org and spamcop.net black lists
5) Signup approvals are now required by admin
6) Path as well as host is validated on form post to try and ensure remote scripts aren't signing up.

I have also had a major clearout of user accounts that have not been activated to clear out the spam accounts.

Any problems let me know, but hopefully we should see a significant reduction in spam.
Darren

Postby 7db » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Darren wrote:2) Custom question on registration that needs to be confirmed / answered

Can you make it a really tricky one on use of The System on approach to roundabouts?
7db

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:09 pm

7db wrote:
Darren wrote:2) Custom question on registration that needs to be confirmed / answered

Can you make it a really tricky one on use of The System on approach to roundabouts?
LOL

Thanks for working to keep this forum as good and valid as you and the Mods do.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:35 pm

I had to go through the process of filling in some almost unreadable anti spam thing today when I logged in

Did not happen this second time so is that likely to be an ongoing thing?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

ROG wrote:I had to go through the process of filling in some almost unreadable anti spam thing today when I logged in

Did not happen this second time so is that likely to be an ongoing thing?

That was my experience too. Maybe it was just a warning shot across the bows in case we're tempted to start posting frivolous rubbish. :shock:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby dmp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm

In a forum I moderate on, I physically check each applicants ip address against a stop spam site, has worked so far for me, not had any spam for years.
Dave
dmp

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help