HPC Young Drivers Day 2011

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Awww - maybe we can get you to throw waste paper about instead, to make you feel wanted :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

StressedDave wrote:I didn't throw it about - I merely missed the bin 20 or so times...

If you hadn't said I'd have no idea you were aiming for the bin. :o
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Lucy Joy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Woo hoo im on the list!
Lucy Joy

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 pm

I want to know when the HPC lot are going to hold a "Slightly older than 25 but not as old as TripleS divers day". That way some of us who are physically middle aged but mentally TEENAGE can get a look in.

Sorry TripleS :oops:
Gromit37

Postby Gareth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Gromit37 wrote:I want to know when the HPC lot are going to hold a "Slightly older than 25 but not as old as TripleS divers day"

How much more inspired do you need to be?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:02 am

Gromit37 wrote:I want to know when the HPC lot are going to hold a "Slightly older than 25 but not as old as TripleS divers day". That way some of us who are physically middle aged but mentally TEENAGE can get a look in.

Sorry TripleS :oops:

That's OK, no problem. :)

The HPC Young Drivers Day is a splendid idea, but they're geared to young and impressionable folk, whereas some of the old buffers may be a bit more difficult, coz they don't believe everything they are told. :shock:

There, that's probably put paid to any possible notions of an HPC Cantankerous Old Buffers Driving Day. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

TripleS wrote:The HPC Young Drivers Day is a splendid idea, but they're geared to young and impressionable folk, whereas some of the old buffers may be a bit more difficult, coz they don't believe everything they are told.

Only a bit more difficult, Dave?

Actually, on the whole HPC folk don't ask people to believe everything they are told, but to consider it carefully and make up their own mind. So long as they make it up reasonably sensibly ......
waremark

Postby TripleS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:The HPC Young Drivers Day is a splendid idea, but they're geared to young and impressionable folk, whereas some of the old buffers may be a bit more difficult, coz they don't believe everything they are told.

Only a bit more difficult, Dave?

Actually, on the whole HPC folk don't ask people to believe everything they are told, but to consider it carefully and make up their own mind. So long as they make it up reasonably sensibly ......

Ah, sensibly, you say......now that's a good deal more difficult. :P

Anyhow, I still think it's a good initiative so I wish it well......even if they won't let me in. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:02 pm

If I wear my baseball cap and keep saying 'innit' a lot, will I fool anybody?

If it were up to me TripleS, i'd let you in to the meet. They might learn something useful! :wink:
Gromit37

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Gromit37 wrote:If I wear my baseball cap and keep saying 'innit' a lot, will I fool anybody?

If it were up to me TripleS, i'd let you in to the meet. They might learn something useful! :wink:

Yes, I know......like how better to deal with cantankerous old buffers who think they can make a reasonable showing with all the relevant stuff, and don't seem to have much time for the rest of it. There's them as thinks that's not good enough......and for the purpose of passing advanced tests I'm sure they're right. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm

StressedDave wrote:"..... your driving is not 'advanced' as I would define it......

I have to ask the question: 'So how would you define it?' (without reference to individuals who may or may not meet your criteria).
waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 am

StressedDave wrote:Mine is relatively simple - the drive is achieved by a process of good observation combined with planning prior to the execution. In other words, the drive is not reactive (which is what I get from most clients at the start). All the other guff about having a system is pretty much secondary to that.

I am glad to say we have much common ground; I agree that observation, anticipation and planning is at the heart of good driving. But surely one has to go on to include in the definition something about the outcome which is achieved?
waremark

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 pm

StressedDave wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:If I wear my baseball cap and keep saying 'innit' a lot, will I fool anybody?

Yes, I know......like how better to deal with cantankerous old buffers who think they can make a reasonable showing with all the relevant stuff, and don't seem to have much time for the rest of it. There's them as thinks that's not good enough......and for the purpose of passing advanced tests I'm sure they're right. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I guess with that attitude, I have to ask the question - given that you are relatively unimpressed with Advanced Driving (capitals very much intended), why would you want to come along to a day dedicated to increasing enthusiasm in drivers before they become accident statistics? You really aren't the target audience for a day like this and I can't see that you ever would be.

I have seen you drive and you do indeed make a reasonable showing with all the relevant stuff. You're safe but your driving is not 'advanced' as I would define it. Equally you have no intention to change (and why not, given that your style has served you well for a number of years) your driving style to one that might be more acceptable to someone who thinks that passing advanced tests is the be-all and end-all. So on both sides I can't see any benefit in having you on such a day.

You're quite right. I never expected to be allowed in to an HPC Young Drivers Day; even if I were to be accepted it would serve no useful purpose for anybody. Just put it down to me clowning again: I thought you might have got used to that by now. ;)

Anything you are able to do that will improve the safety record of young drivers - or anybody else for that matter - is absolutely splendid......and I do mean that.

S'funny really: only this afternoon I nearly had a head-on with a young fellow in a silver Corsa when he ran wide on the exit of a LH bend (to him) that I was approaching. I needed a quick jink left partially onto the grass to avoid him, but no harm was done so I don't get worked up about it. I'm sure he knew what had happened so I expect he'll be better for it in future. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help