New Registrations Closed

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 am

Due to the sheer number of spam accounts currently being registered > 100 yesterday alone. I have closed the site to new registrations until a solution can be found. Current users are able to log in and continue as normal, but new accounts will not be able to join.
Darren

Postby TripleS » Wed May 11, 2011 9:58 am

Darren wrote:Due to the sheer number of spam accounts currently being registered > 100 yesterday alone. I have closed the site to new registrations until a solution can be found. Current users are able to log in and continue as normal, but new accounts will not be able to join.

This is highly regrettable, Darren, but entirely understandable in the circumstances. I hope you will be able to find a solution to the problem fairly soon.

I've no time for people who set out to make themselves a nuisance: even I don't do that. I can be a pest purely on the basis of my natural aptitude for it - but it's all done in the best possible taste. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby exportmanuk » Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi

Some of the forums now require you to input a security code of do a maths question before it allows you to submit a post and many forums do not allow the first dozen or so posting to be shown until a moderator has seen them.
exportmanuk

Postby Darren » Wed May 11, 2011 1:57 pm

We do this already, this has somehow been breached.
Darren

Postby crr003 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:21 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

Some of the forums now require you to input a security code of do a maths question before it allows you to submit a post and many forums do not allow the first dozen or so posting to be shown until a moderator has seen them.

Good idea - here's one - what is 48÷2(9+3)?
crr003

Postby TripleS » Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 pm

crr003 wrote:

That's a grossly unfair question; doubly so, in fact......unless my mathematics skills are a good deal less than I'd care to believe. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Angus » Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm

crr003 wrote:

I thought we wanted to encourage younger drivers - that'll exclude most males under 30
Angus

Postby crr003 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Angus wrote:
crr003 wrote:

I thought we wanted to encourage younger drivers - that'll exclude most males under 30

ooooohhhh! Controversial! But the passes at GCSE/A level every year keep going up..........
It's actually a trick question that's been doing the rounds on various forums. There are two answers, depending on your interpretation of the rules of dealing with the mathematical operators.
crr003

Postby kfae8959 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:36 am

crr003 wrote:It's actually a trick question that's been doing the rounds on various forums. There are two answers, depending on your interpretation of the rules of dealing with the mathematical operators.

That's it, then. BODMAS is the only thing I can remember from the maths I did at school, and now you're telling me that doesn't apply any more."I'm sorry for your trouble, Officer, but distance just doesn't divide by time that way these days..."

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby crr003 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 am

kfae8959 wrote:
crr003 wrote:It's actually a trick question that's been doing the rounds on various forums. There are two answers, depending on your interpretation of the rules of dealing with the mathematical operators.

That's it, then. BODMAS is the only thing I can remember from the maths I did at school, and now you're telling me that doesn't apply any more."I'm sorry for your trouble, Officer, but distance just doesn't divide by time that way these days..."

David

You won't believe the number of internet pages devoted to it. Not just on PistonHeads, but on proper maths and sums sites!
I must be really old 'cos I'd never heard of BODMAS till this conundrum came up.
crr003

Postby jont » Fri May 13, 2011 9:17 am

And then you can get into arguments about which base the question is written in... :twisted:
jont

Postby crr003 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm

jont wrote:And then you can get into arguments about which base the question is written in... :twisted:

Well, yes. If you're really sad.................. :lol:

Let's just assume it's 10
crr003

Postby jont » Fri May 13, 2011 1:16 pm

crr003 wrote:
jont wrote:And then you can get into arguments about which base the question is written in... :twisted:

There are 10 types of people in the world.....

those that understand binary, and those that don't..... :lol:
jont

Postby crr003 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 pm

jont wrote:
crr003 wrote:

There are 10 types of people in the world.....

those that understand binary, and those that don't..... :lol:

Wll,I think you've taken this thread far enough off topic! :)
crr003

Postby Horse » Fri May 13, 2011 4:02 pm

crr003 wrote: Wll,I think you've taken this thread far enough off topic! :)

Indeed!

Never mind maths, let's get potential member's to demonstrate correct use of apostrephe's . . . ;)

However, back OT, sympathies to Darren :(
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help