New Registrations Closed

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby TripleS » Fri May 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote: Wll,I think you've taken this thread far enough off topic! :)

Indeed!

Never mind maths, let's get potential member's to demonstrate correct use of apostrephe's . . . ;)

Aye, and a bit of korrect speeling wudn't come amiss either. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Darren » Sat May 28, 2011 9:06 am

Sorry for the inconvenience - new registrations open again. Heavily modified CAPTCHA will see how it goes.
Darren

Postby PeterE » Sat May 28, 2011 7:17 pm

For some reason I got logged off and had to log on again - the new captcha tbh is offputtingly difficult :(
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Darren » Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Regrettably I also think its not making any difference - still seeing spam registrations - 30 since I turned it back on.
Darren

Postby Gareth » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 am

Darren wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:many forums do not allow the first dozen or so posting to be shown until a moderator has seen them.

We do this already, this has somehow been breached.

Darren, were you only answering the maths part of exportnanuk's comment, or are the initial posts from new members already screened?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby PeterE » Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 am

There was a report last week that software to defeat commonly-used CAPTCHAs had been developed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/23/microsoft_yahoo_captchas_busted/
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:49 am

I've added some registration mods to hopefully stop it. Lets see how it goes.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:58 am

Yep. Took some time to get that sorted. I had put so many other mods into the forum code I ended up having to go back to a vanilla version and re-introduce things. Took a few hours yesterday morning. Sorry to everyone for the down time yesterday morning.

While at it I took the opportunity to make some updates to the main site, update some general information, add some new groups and ADI's to the databases etc.
Darren

Previous

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help