Safer Motoring for the Next Generation - Staffs Uni Society

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Mon May 29, 2006 8:58 am

A new, by the people, for the people approach to improving the standard of young drivers is about to get a field-test in Stafford.

It is the brainchild of a student at Staffordshire University, who at the age of 18, passed his RoADAR test at ‘Gold’, and has since been trying (albeit, fruitlessly!) to get his friends and colleagues to become Advanced Drivers too.

With support from the Students’ Union, the Staffordshire University Advanced Driving Society will be launched in September, offering completely free Roadcraft-based training to anyone who wants it. As the target market are young drivers, a great deal of resistance to training has been anticipated.

As such certain incentives are there in an effort to make them sign up. For example, in association with Staffordshire Police, we have gained access to their skidpan. With support from the Union, this works out at as little as £35/person.

We are also working towards reducedprice track days for members who complete training and pass a test. It is hoped also that, as the society is run by a student and at least one of its instructors is a student, other young drivers may feel more comfortable taking advice from them. Not only that, but it may give an aura of ‘cool’ to Advanced Driving - something that it has always lacked.

Although the society does not open for membership until September, it has already generated great interest amongst those surveyed. All but one said that they would be interested and would look into it when it is launched.

At the moment, the Society has two people who have defiantly agreed to function as instructors. One, the student founder, and the other a highly experienced observer. At this stage it is very hard to tell what the response will be, however it may be that we get more students than two instructors can reasonably handle (bearing in mind one has a job, and the other a degree!). If this becomes the case, we would welcome volunteer observers from RoADAR or the IAM who would be willing to help out in the Stafford area.

We also take the liberty of asking that, if you or anyone you know would be interested in sponsoring the Society, to get in touch. The Union only supports us retrospectively. For more information, please visit:

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
or contact:

tim@staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
Last edited by Darren on Mon May 29, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darren

Postby chrispbrown2255 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:00 am

I commented on this on the IAM mailing list.
I think its a brilliant idea, and would like to offer my help but not being in Stafford there's little I can do.
chrispbrown2255

Postby crr003 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:20 pm

Darren wrote:.......At the moment, the Society has two people who have defiantly agreed to function as instructors.

Wow -who did they have to defy? Maybe the local ADIs......... :wink:
crr003

Postby theyoungen » Wed May 31, 2006 1:21 pm

Ha! Yeah, I cna't splel!

Well we were fairly 'defiant' towards the Union, who wanted us to charge a membership fee, but only two of us have 'definitely' agreed to instruct!
:wink:
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby crr003 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:32 pm

theyoungen wrote:Ha! Yeah, I cna't splel!

Well we were fairly 'defiant' towards the Union, who wanted us to charge a membership fee, but only two of us have 'definitely' agreed to instruct!

Well good luck with your endeavour!
crr003

Postby chrispbrown2255 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:28 pm

theyoungen wrote:Ha! Yeah, I cna't splel!

Good luck with it m8. My SU also prefer that you charge membership, but if you don't want funding from them you don't have to charge. Also all you have to do is show the union "membership fees", ie put your own money in as a members fee, then later in the year write yourself a cheque to get the money back.
I would like to offer my help, but I'm up in Manchester.
chrispbrown2255

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help