Links

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm curious about the behaviour of hyperlinks in posts on the forum. My browser is set to open a link I click in a new tab, but on the forum it seems to open links in the same tab - so I'm taken away from the forum to the new page, and have to click "back" to return to the forum, rather than just closing the new tab.

I couldn't say for sure that links always behave like this, but I wondered if someone knew why the forum seems, at least sometimes, to be overriding my browser settings? (I know that I can just right-click the link and ask for it to be opened in a new tab if that's what I really want!)

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby gannet » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm

think it might depend on how the link has been inserted into the post...

if just copied and pasted into the text it'll probably open in the same window (not sure why this would override the browser setting though)

if inserted with [ url ] tags it is more friendly and opens in a new tab...

well that's how it works for mine....
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Use right click, open new? Problem solved.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help