HPC Young Drivers Day 2014

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Gareth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:33 am

HPC will be running another Young Drivers Day on the 2nd of August 2014. This is open to those who are aged 26 years or less and hold a full driver's licence, and are not already HPC members. The aims of the day are to:
  • Promote awareness of driving skills at advanced levels
  • Encourage the participants to develop their own skills
  • Have fun
More details are available on the HPC website.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby true blue » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 am

If anyone is thinking about this, I can't recommend it highly enough. I went last year as a young(ish) driver, and found the day hugely enjoyable, instructive and eye-opening. The level of enthusiasm for driving shown by club members was orders of magnitude greater than what I've seen in my local IAM / RoSPA groups.

Hopefully I'll get to go again soon, but as a member rather than a young driver!
true blue

Postby pete g » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 am

I reckon HPC should have an old drivers day! ;-)
Br1stol IAM Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.
pete g

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

pete g wrote:I reckon HPC should have an old drivers day! ;-)

Or even a poor driver's day. :-(
Silk

Postby waremark » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:59 pm

true blue wrote:If anyone is thinking about this, I can't recommend it highly enough. I went last year as a young(ish) driver, and found the day hugely enjoyable, instructive and eye-opening. The level of enthusiasm for driving shown by club members was orders of magnitude greater than what I've seen in my local IAM / RoSPA groups.

Hopefully I'll get to go again soon, but as a member rather than a young driver!

:D :D :D
waremark

Postby TripleS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:25 pm

StressedDave wrote:
Silk wrote:
pete g wrote:I reckon HPC should have an old drivers day! ;-)

Aren't they called AD-UK days :roll:

Not since I stopped participating in them a few years ago. :P
TripleS

Postby waremark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm

TripleS wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
Silk wrote:In reply to Pete's "I reckon HPC should have an old drivers day! ;-)"

Aren't they called AD-UK days :roll:

Not since I stopped participating in them a few years ago. :P

I'm confused here. Are you saying you are a poor driver? Or a poor driver?

Personally, I have found the drivers I met on ADUK days to be rather good - and quite a few of them have been rich enough to move onto HPC. Though actually, to join HPC you don't have to be rich, you just have to be obsessive about your driving - and those who attend ADUK days are well on the way!
waremark

Postby TripleS » Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 am

waremark wrote:I'm confused here. Are you saying you are a poor driver? Or a poor driver?

Personally, I have found the drivers I met on ADUK days to be rather good - and quite a few of them have been rich enough to move onto HPC. Though actually, to join HPC you don't have to be rich, you just have to be obsessive about your driving - and those who attend ADUK days are well on the way!

OK, I've done it again: a supposedly light-hearted response that's misfired. Nowt new there.

The easy bit first then: I'm not actually a poor OAP in financial terms, but I don't chuck money around too carelessly. I could comfortably afford to go the HPC route, but I'm not sure that I would make the grade, and in any case I don't buy into all of their driving standards, so it wouldn't make any sense for me to pursue it. I'm not criticising it, and all credit to those who do join and enjoy it, but it's just not for me.

In truth I like to feel that I'm a fairly good driver; certainly I've always tried to be, but of course I'm biased, so that's not much help. It's all a bit of a mixed bag really: I think I'm safe and smooth to a fairly high degree, and adequately quick when I feel like it. On the other hand there are no doubt aspects in which I'm not particularly good at all, so I try to work on those areas where I feel they are reasonably relevant and important. That's about it, really.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby hir » Thu May 01, 2014 10:06 am

TripleS wrote:
OK, I've done it again: a supposedly light-hearted response that's misfired. Nowt new there.

Dave, don't be too concerned. There's at least one out here in cyberspace who got the joke. :lol:
hir

Postby trashbat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:14 am

Oh, now I get it.

I did wonder why StressedDave was calling everyone rubbish.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby fungus » Thu May 01, 2014 11:06 am

TripleS wrote:OK, I've done it again: a supposedly light-hearted response that's misfired. Nowt new there.

Don't worry about it Dave. I'm always puttting my foot in it with what seem to me like inocent remarks that get taken out of context. i thought of a career in the diplomatic corps, but then realised that I might start world war three. :shock:

Stressed Daves remark about Dave coming from Gods county, as they like to think of it in Yorkshire, and the other connotation, by which I presume he meant the bluntness of Yorkshire, folk dosen't just apply to Yorkshire. I'm Dorset born and bred, (and please don't finish off the rest of the saying), and I have a bit of a reputation for being blunt at times. However it's usually necessary when I am.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Thu May 01, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks, guys.

Actually, I first saw the light of day in Stanmore, Middlesex; so as far as being a Yorkshireman is concerned, I am but a mere replica. Fings is not always what they seem! :lol:
TripleS

Postby waremark » Thu May 01, 2014 4:17 pm

TripleS wrote:
waremark wrote:I'm confused here. Are you saying you are a poor driver? Or a poor driver?

Well, my reply was supposed to be light-hearted too, so that is the one which misfired!

And I am the one from Yorkshire (though that was quite a long time before Ware).
waremark

Postby martine » Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Extraordinary! I've just read my 'News from the IAM' email newsletter and they are promoting the HPC Young Driver event! How enlightened of them - looks like this is a significant change in attitude in IAM HQ.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 29, 2014 5:23 pm

The Club has been at pains to foster the relationship with the IAM over the past couple of years.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Next

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help