'Deadly Lay-Bys'

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby MikeG » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Just found this little snippet:-

UK deaths

The AA is warning motorists heading for popular UK tourist destinations to take care in "deadly" lay-bys.

Nearly two-thirds of fatal accidents involving stopped vehicles on a dual carriageway happen in a lay-by, a study from the AA Motoring Trust found.

More than half the vehicles hit are lorries and in the past year at least six people have died in lay-by crashes in the UK, the trust said.

It added that drivers should stay out of lay-bys that are not separated from the main road by a kerbed island.

The trust's study, co-funded by the Highways Agency, surveyed lay-bys along the A303 and the A34, two busy holiday routes leading to south and south-west England.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby crr003 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 pm

MikeG wrote:Just found this little snippet:-

UK deaths

The AA is warning motorists heading for popular UK tourist destinations to take care in "deadly" lay-bys.

Same as stopping on the Hard Shoulder of motorways - not recommended.

I can understand the concern.
crr003

Postby MikeG » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:04 pm

crr003 wrote:
Same as stopping on the Hard Shoulder of motorways - not recommended.

I can understand the concern.

True! I've witnessed many a HGV drift over onto the hard shoulder and back out again, especially early in the morning on my travels to work.

I see quite a few of your 'pals' around now 'guarding' the poor unfortunates who do break down.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help