Driving test pass

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby kwaka jack » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 pm

I passed my advanced driving test yesterday with a F1RST score. Really over the moon as I didn't think it deserved it personally but I wasn't going to argue with the examiner lol. Just looking to see what else to go for next.

Jackson
kwaka jack

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

well done!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jcochrane » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 am

Excellent
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby martine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 am

Ahh good man - F1rst is a very good achievement - you going to post it on FSTOC?

Next? Well you have a choice...I'd let things bed-in for a bit so the techniques become almost second nature but moving forward...you could train to be an observer or take the ROSPA advanced test or prepare for IAM Masters or just sign up for loads of ADUK driving days to get exposure to different 'flavours' of 'advanced'.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm

martine wrote:Ahh good man - F1rst is a very good achievement - you going to post it on FSTOC?

Next? Well you have a choice...I'd let things bed-in for a bit so the techniques become almost second nature but moving forward...you could train to be an observer or take the ROSPA advanced test or prepare for IAM Masters or just sign up for loads of ADUK driving days to get exposure to different 'flavours' of 'advanced'.

Oh, so there are different ones then? :?
Never mind about that though: when are you coming to have look at Runswick Bay with me? :wink:

I only ask because I'm now getting very busy in the garden (safest place for me, really) so book early to avoid disappointment. Obviously I've been given the bum's rush (or is it bums' rush?) WRT the trip to Cambridgeshire, so I can probably fit you in. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby kwaka jack » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:09 pm

martine wrote:Ahh good man - F1rst is a very good achievement - you going to post it on FSTOC?

Although I only sold the ST about 6 months ago it was sitting in the garage for about 2 years, I'm driving around in an A5 now. Masters does seem like the next logical step, is there a big leap in terms of skill required for it? becoming an observer doesn't appeal to me at all really. I already charity work for the RNLI so not time really. I have been looking at the driving days but they are usually very long distances from me.
kwaka jack

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 pm

kwaka jack wrote: Masters does seem like the next logical step, is there a big leap in terms of skill required for it?

Congratulations from me too.
Now Masters, I've seen it described as a Police Advanced drive but without exemptions.
So, that'd mean commentary throughout and no overtake within NSL missed, together with no question about car control.
You can go for a drive on your own and try this, then decide whether you would want to try for Masters.
The most important point about all this AD stuff, which I hope you have already realised, is that safety is the paramount point, your's and others'.
If you decide to not continue with anymore AD stuff but internalise your learning from the IAM First and apply it in your driving you'll be better than the majority on our roads.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 pm

kwaka jack wrote:Although I only sold the ST about 6 months ago it was sitting in the garage for about 2 years,

Shame on you! :wink:

Masters does seem like the next logical step, is there a big leap in terms of skill required for it? becoming an observer doesn't appeal to me at all really. I already charity work for the RNLI so not time really. I have been looking at the driving days but they are usually very long distances from me.

Yes it's quite a step up...
http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters

The 'standard' is explained here but I would disagree it's "highest level of civilian driving standard in the country"...the 2 DAY(!) HPC course is, I would suggest, somewhat more demanding.

Quite understand about not wishing to become an Observer - it's not for everyone and is time consuming.

If Masters is your chosen route, I wouldn't be too hasty to sign up - you would probably benefit from consolidating what you've learnt so far and simply drive with others in your IAM group or outside.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby kwaka jack » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:52 pm

martine wrote:
kwaka jack wrote:Although I only sold the ST about 6 months ago it was sitting in the garage for about 2 years,

Shame on you! :wink:

Masters does seem like the next logical step, is there a big leap in terms of skill required for it? becoming an observer doesn't appeal to me at all really. I already charity work for the RNLI so not time really. I have been looking at the driving days but they are usually very long distances from me.

Yes it's quite a step up...
http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters

The 'standard' is explained here but I would disagree it's "highest level of civilian driving standard in the country"...the 2 DAY(!) HPC course is, I would suggest, somewhat more demanding.

Quite understand about not wishing to become an Observer - it's not for everyone and is time consuming.

If Masters is your chosen route, I wouldn't be too hasty to sign up - you would probably benefit from consolidating what you've learnt so far and simply drive with others in your IAM group or outside.

Cheers martin. The HPC course is on the list of things to do as well. I've seen some posts about it being quite pricey? Also every time I search for some info on it all other their websites call for a login first. Would you recommend masters before attempting HPC?
kwaka jack

Postby skodatezzer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:40 pm

IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby kwaka jack » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Cheers
kwaka jack

Postby gannet » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:24 pm

kwaka jack wrote:The HPC course is on the list of things to do as well. I've seen some posts about it being quite pricey?

I think this part is dependant on how you view it - you pay for one on one coaching over at least 2.5 days, some of that time includes the off road element of course which includes hire of that facility.

How much would you charge your time out for?
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby akirk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Best money i have spent on training... The value v no of hours is actually very good, i dont think the coaches are making huge amounts of money out of it, and you learn a huge amount...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby fengpo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Well done man, how did you find the test? I'm hoping for a First if the group are ever organised enough to get my test date sorted.

Nice choice on the A5 can't fault German cars in my eyes :)
fengpo

Postby kwaka jack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:32 pm

fengpo wrote:Well done man, how did you find the test? I'm hoping for a First if the group are ever organised enough to get my test date sorted.

Nice choice on the A5 can't fault German cars in my eyes :)

Thanks its lovely to drive around in. To be honest I expected it to be more difficult than what it was. The examiner and I had couple of things in common so that made it a lot easier by being able to have a half decent convosation with him as we were going around.
kwaka jack

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help