HPC Young Drivers Day 2015

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Gareth » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:14 am

The High Performance Course will be running another Young Drivers Day on the 1st of August 2015. This is open to those who are aged 26 years or less and hold a full driver's licence, and who are not graduates of the High Performance Course. The aims of the day are to:
  • Promote awareness of driving skills at advanced levels
  • Encourage the participants to develop their own skills
  • Have fun
More details are available on the High Performance Course website.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:23 pm

In case you are thinking about doing this, I've been told there are still a few places available.
Gareth

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:08 am

Gareth wrote:In case you are thinking about doing this, I've been told there are still a few places available.

Have you heard whether there has been any response to the promotion in the IAM email which is the subject of another thread?
waremark

Postby Gareth » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:12 am

waremark wrote:
Gareth wrote:In case you are thinking about doing this, I've been told there are still a few places available.

Have you heard whether there has been any response to the promotion in the IAM email which is the subject of another thread?

I think that's the reason there are very few places remaining.
Gareth

Postby IcedKiwi » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Just wanted to add further thanks to the HPC and their members for organising the young drivers day and giving up their time to share their knowledge and enthusiasm. It was obvious the level of passion that everyone had for driving, not just their own, but also the desire they had to help others improve and enjoy their driving more.

Some fantastic drives from some very capable people. Very friendly environment - great for learning, not intimidating, no question too stupid! Came away with quite a few pointers to work on for my own driving which I hope to try and put into practise.

Also thought it was very promising to see Mark Lewis from the IAM there - seemed to enjoy himself! If I wasn't already any associate, then I definitely think I would be looking to sign up following the day.

Thanks again to all involved and if you speak to anyone else who isn't on here, please pass on my thanks to them too and let them know it was enjoyable and appreciated,
Scott
IcedKiwi

Postby martine » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:...Also thought it was very promising to see Mark Lewis from the IAM there - seemed to enjoy himself!...

Excellent - well done Mark (and HPC for inviting him).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Dalto123 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:41 am

Just wanted to also pass on my thanks not only to Carol and Roger who I was with for the driving sessions, but also to everyone who attended and made the day possible.

I learnt a lot, and came away with some pointers to work on, as well as a lot of positive comments about my driving :D

Philip
Dalto123

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:57 am

Interesting to see people posting on here and to try and match them to the people there on the day - you might have to post the cars you drive :)

It was a great day - my first as well, and really enjoyed it - the enthusiasm and ability was really high level - one person I took out had only passed his test last month and drove really well...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Dalto123 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:33 am

akirk wrote:Interesting to see people posting on here and to try and match them to the people there on the day - you might have to post the cars you drive :)

In which case I was the chap with the black MK2.5 MX5
Dalto123

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 am

akirk wrote:Interesting to see people posting on here and to try and match them to the people there on the day - you might have to post the cars you drive :)
Alasdair

Yes, it was a lot easier to put a face to the HPC members with forum names like yourself (even though I didn't have to the chance to speak to you)!
I was in the blue 330i touring, wearing shorts and glasses, asked Mark Lewis his opinion of what he had seen today and how aligned it was with his vision of the IAM.

Edit: Thought it was interesting to hear from Mark (and I got the impression that quite a few HPC members were too), that in Scotland, the police are taught to not "offside" (unclear of exact definition of off siding vs straightlining etc) and hence will pull you over if they see you doing it. Maybe someone with more knowledge or understanding would be able to clarify what was meant.
Last edited by IcedKiwi on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 pm

StressedDave wrote:What did he say? There have been IAM bods on the day before, and some of the presenters have been, how shall I say, a little amusing, with their description of the organisation. One such has stayed in my mind for years: "you get lots of good jam recipes out of IAM groups". Cue spluttering and hard looks.

In addition to the edit I made after you posted...
IcedKiwi wrote:Edit: Thought it was interesting to hear from Mark (and I got the impression that quite a few HPC members were too), that in Scotland, the police are taught to not "offside" (unclear of exact definition of off siding vs straightlining etc) and hence will pull you over if they see you doing it. Maybe someone with more knowledge or understanding would be able to clarify what was meant.

From memory, some others may have better and wish to add, he said that he hadn't seen anything that he didn't agree with, aside from maybe steering, or would be frowned upon by the IAM. He acknowledged that It was a lot more difficult for a common standard to be disseminated across all the individually run groups, but he was hoping to achieve this with his new standard. Someone asked about retesting, and he said it wouldn't be possible due to the number of members and their reliance on their subscriptions. He mentioned the voluntary re-testing and higher awards with the possibility of introducing re-testing for new members. Steve I also talked about HPC retesting and found that peer feedback/recognition/(pressure) worked much better.
He talked passionately about the IAM and HPC, and if I hadn't have heard about the IAM previously, I wouldn't have gotten the pipe and slippers image from attending the day and would be looking towards them as a step towards HPC. I think that view would probably be shared by the other attendees (maybe not some of the current members :wink: who didn't seem too enthusiastic about my steering method "imposed" upon me by my observers EDIT: or my reluctance to BGOL).
Last edited by IcedKiwi on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IcedKiwi

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:47 pm

In case anybody needs any recognition aids for me, my car is bright yellow (the one Carole was joking about) :wink:

I didn't realise you were there, until today, IcedKiwi, or I would have come and thanked you for your railway nerd link :D
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:
Alasdair

Yes, it was a lot easier to put a face to the HPC members with forum names like yourself (even though I didn't have to the chance to speak to you)!
I was in the blue 330i touring, wearing shorts and glasses, asked Mark Lewis his opinion of what he had seen today and how aligned it was with his vision of the IAM.

Edit: Thought it was interesting to hear from Mark (and I got the impression that quite a few HPC members were too), that in Scotland, the police are taught to not "offside" (unclear of exact definition of off siding vs straightlining etc) and hence will pull you over if they see you doing it. Maybe someone with more knowledge or understanding would be able to clarify what was meant.

Dalto123 wrote:In which case I was the chap with the black MK2.5 MX5

Ahh recognise both cars! We should have had an ADUK corner for 5 minutes over lunch and said hello - sorry for not chatting, tried to say hello to as many as possible...

There were some interesting subtleties in mark's comment regarding Scotland / Offsiding generally - I suspect that Scotland is doing this as a part of their campaign by their Chief Constable Sir Stephen House towards minimising road deaths etc.:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... e-mad.html
They will now have a zero-tolerance on speeding with warnings for anyone over the limit the first time and then booked the second time... I suspect that the crackdown on offsiding is a part of the same thing - while Scotland has powers to legally provide the warnings on the speeding front - as far as I am aware, they don't have for white lines where it is legal to cross them - I would imagine that most motorists will accept the warning (not caution) - but there is possibly scope for a backlash as it could be considered slightly towards harrassment to stop someone for a legal move and give them a warning - however I suspect that in most cases it will be motorists who are not being sensible about their offsiding...

Mark's comments seemed to also sit in the 'if it is not necessary, don't do it' frame of mind - which opens up other discussions...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jcochrane » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Some what "tounge in cheek" but when Mark mentioned how the Scottish Police were now taught not to "off side" it made me wonder how they were supposed to overtake any one. Seems like overtaking must be a "no no" as well then, except on dual carriageways. Or maybe they just drive over the top of a slower car in their way.:P
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help