BBC: Police target driving 'loopholes'

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby nuster100 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:26 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but some driving offenses rely on the driver incriminating themselves.

Take gatso cameras, you have to say whether you were driving etc.

IMO this put the onus on the driver to prove his innocence. Thats not the way the law works in this country, the police have to prove guilt, not the other way round.

Just my 2 cents

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby martine » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 am

nuster100 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but some driving offenses rely on the driver incriminating themselves.

Take gatso cameras, you have to say whether you were driving etc.

IMO this put the onus on the driver to prove his innocence. Thats not the way the law works in this country, the police have to prove guilt, not the other way round.

This has been debated before (and will again I'm sure) but personally I've no problem with it as it stands. The only people who object are surely looking for a loophole as they are probably guilty. There was a case a few months ago of someone objecting on this principle - he lost in court.

Some cameras of course take a facing photo which helps identify the driver in any case.

Perhaps I'm naive but I really can't see the problem in this case, of the driver being forced to identify...but then again I usually don't have much time for many of the 'personal freedom' arguments...(identity cards, road pricing etc).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:49 am

There are loads of offences where you are required to provide information which might be used by the prosecution to incriminate you - driving isn't that special.
7db

Previous

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help