ABI - "New drivers need a year of tuition"

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby jont » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:27 am

Article on BBC news suggesting that young drivers should have a year of tuition and be restricted on number of passengers and night driving immediately after passing their test:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5357088.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5359426.stm

Seems a bit of an arbitrary number to me. Are they assuming 1 lesson a week or is it to ensure they have been taught in a range of conditions across the year?

No mention of (or comments from ) organisations such as IAM/RoSPA etc :(
jont

Postby billgates e30 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:14 pm

why restricted on night driving, becasue i learned in the winter about 70% of my driving was in the rain/wind etc at night, and my test was taken when there was about an inch of snow on the pavements and it was about 2 degrees outside
billgates e30

Postby 7db » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Because it's harder to drive at night than in the day*. I suspect that new driver accident stats back that up.

* See Martin's thread, although new drivers aren't old gimmers like the rest of us...
7db

Postby Standard Dave » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Just seen some stuff about this in a local newspaper.
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/dis ... eId=156139

But young driver Matt Taylor (19), from Bracebridge Heath, near Lincoln, said the proposals were a load of rubbish.

"I did pass plus after my driving test and it taught me how to drive safely. It might make more sense just insisting that new drivers do that rather than bringing in all these other things," he said.

is from the article and sums up why some (most) young drivers need something more than just more lessons. This lad seems to think Pass plus will guarantee his safety :shock:

I don't think curfew would be enforcable, change in age would be unpopular and might not work. There needs to be more work on attitude of drivers it is the most important part which is overlooked at almost every level of training.
Standard Dave

Postby jont » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 am

Standard Dave wrote:There needs to be more work on attitude of drivers it is the most important part which is overlooked at almost every level of training.

It's probably also the hardest thing to change - if someone thinks their standard of driving is adequate and they have nothing to learn, then how do you go about proving otherwise (until it's too late)?
jont

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help