Young Drivers Choose ADUK for Advanced Driving advice

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Young Drivers Choose ADUK for Advanced Driving advice (58% of members under 36 years old)

ADUK has from the outset tried to angle itself towards the younger end of the spectrum due to the sheer numbers of young drivers involved in fatal road crashes.

For the first time we can reveal that 58% of ADUK members are under the age of 36. This is an enviable membership statistic for any Road Safety organisation.

After all Road Safety and Advanced Driving will never be a "cool" subject but if we can at least have the right outlook and image that fits with what young people want out of driving we can guide them in the right direction to staying alive on UK's roads.

This is exactly the kind of membership dynamics we are looking for and proves that with the younger outlook, fresh image and drive to succeed where others haven't been so successful ADUK has hit it's target audiance.

Drivers under the age of 36 are significantly more likely to be involved road traffic accidents whether having just past their tests or being dynamic sales executives with tight targets and deadlines.

According to the new figures released by the UK Department of Transport this week in their Road Casualties Great
Britain 2005 Annual Report the figures also show that 5/6 accidents are caused by Driver Error; a much worse statistic than those involving Speed.

We're sure this raises many other questions as to why budget is being spent so heavily on reducing driver speeds rather than increasing their awareness and reducing driver error's.

Advanced Driving UK was set up to target specifically young drivers who are most at risk from being involved in a road casualty.
Darren

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:06 pm

Darren wrote:Young Drivers Choose ADUK for Advanced Driving advice (58% of members under 36 years old)

Darren: Good use of stats!
(If you had quoted a simple average, I might have had to go just to help out.) :oops: ...I'll get me coat!
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby Big Err » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:06 pm

Darren wrote:Young Drivers Choose ADUK for Advanced Driving advice (58% of members under 36 years old)

Hey I'm still a young driver!!!!!!!! Just.

Eric
Big Err

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:

Darren: Good use of stats!
(If you had quoted a simple average, I might have had to go just to help out.) :oops: ...I'll get me coat!

I'm not exactly the king of spin, but we do try. In truth, it is the up to 26's that are the biggest risk. But up to 36's includes alot of company car drivers who significantly add to the statistic. As such, it's a) important to point out that people in the 30's are also risky. Just because people get through 10 years or so doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.

In terms of IAM and RoSPA membership figures. I very much doubt they could quote such a figure. The average age of ADUK members is actually under 35.
Darren

Postby Big Err » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:24 pm

Darren wrote:[In truth, it is the up to 26's that are the biggest risk.

Not always the case, locally the at 'risk' crash stats ages are across the board with under 26's being a peak. Not at the desk right now to confirm it, but the figures normally have a peak at about 30-35 and 40-45 too.

Again I think its a nice political thing to blame all the crashes on youngsters - not many young politicians going about.....

Eric
Big Err

Postby TripleS » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Darren wrote:Just because people get through 10 years or so doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.

I'm still making 'em after 49 years, but I'm working on it!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:02 am

Oh dear, TripleS, 7db - you lied about your age didn't you? :wink: :wink: :wink:

You mention Darren that Advanced Driving is not cool. I think that it is extremely cool. I think however you need the right attitude to think that, which most of us on here have.

Why is it not seen as cool? Easy. To the young driver, speed is everything. Impress your mates, handling the car, powerful engine. To the advanced driver speed is a tool, used in the right circumstances, tailored to the road conditions and overall purpose.

The use of this tool properly creates a long lasting, effective result. The use of this tool without experience or training, creates a "botched job". Sometimes you get away with botched jobs, sometimes you don't.
James

Postby Nigel » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:03 am

James wrote:Oh dear, TripleS, 7db - you lied about your age didn't you? :wink: :wink: :wink:

You mention Darren that Advanced Driving is not cool. I think that it is extremely cool. I think however you need the right attitude to think that, which most of us on here have.

Why is it not seen as cool? Easy. To the young driver, speed is everything. Impress your mates, handling the car, powerful engine. To the advanced driver speed is a tool, used in the right circumstances, tailored to the road conditions and overall purpose.

The use of this tool properly creates a long lasting, effective result. The use of this tool without experience or training, creates a "botched job". Sometimes you get away with botched jobs, sometimes you don't.

James...thats brilliant.

Could you arrange that into a format where it could be printed and handed out ?
Nigel

Postby TripleS » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:05 am

chriskay wrote:Oh dear; I don't think I'm helping the average. Shall I resign now?
Cheers, Chris.

Certainly not! You're an approved rebel - and very much needed.

Best wishes Chris, and everybody,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help