More Camera Plans

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:23 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:I found one of these very recently, coming around a corner in an NSL, there were (30) signs on both sides of the road about 5m before the first house of the village the 30 was for, *both* signs were partially obscured by trees.

Generally there will be some warning that you're coming upon a built up area. If you keep your eyes up you may see buildings in the distance on approach. There may be a church tower or steeple. There is often a name plate some distance before the village boundary. There is often the start of street lighting. There is sometimes a 'pedestrians in road' sign which tells you there are likely to be people on foot, which generally means people live there, and there are no footpaths on one or both sides of the road. In addition you will probably have past numerous direction signs that include a distance to the next village, so if you checked your odometer, you will know when to expect a built up area.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:01 am

Gareth wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:I found one of these very recently, coming around a corner in an NSL, there were (30) signs on both sides of the road about 5m before the first house of the village the 30 was for, *both* signs were partially obscured by trees.

Generally there will be some warning that you're coming upon a built up area. If you keep your eyes up you may see buildings in the distance on approach. There may be a church tower or steeple. There is often a name plate some distance before the village boundary. There is often the start of street lighting. There is sometimes a 'pedestrians in road' sign which tells you there are likely to be people on foot, which generally means people live there, and there are no footpaths on one or both sides of the road. In addition you will probably have past numerous direction signs that include a distance to the next village, so if you checked your odometer, you will know when to expect a built up area.

All good pointers, though as it happens, I don't think there were any of the above available to me in this particular instance. My odometer doesn't work well when the speedometer gears are missing a tooth and the new part is not only horrendously expensive, but surprisingly difficult to get hold of! Having said that, I'm getting pretty good at coping without, when it comes to speed (dead reckoning backed up with the rev counter and some mental arithmetic) so I guess I should start working on counting miles in my head :D

If I can remember where the road was, I'll go back and have another look. Maybe there were clues I didn't remember seeing.

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
[ edited because take 1 came out a mess ]
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Big Err » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:30 pm

Tony Hoyle wrote:Interesting.. there are series of green cameras not far from here - does that mean they don't generate any revenues for the council? Wonder why they keep them?

Revenue raised currently doesn't go to the Council but to the Camera Partnership and is (as far as I'm aware) exceptionally well ring fenced as far as what it can be used for. Something to do with 'it's ok to spend £3K on pens,pencils and key fobs, but difficult to spend £300 on driver training.'

If anyone knows the current spending rules on Camera Partnerships, please enlighten us.

Eric
Big Err

Postby stuartb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Revenue from non-speed cameras goes to local councils but apparently has to be used on roads expenditure (more speed bumps then).

Did you know you have no right to go to court if you are caught on one of these? There is some other body (I forget the details now), but in London the fine is £100 reduced to £50 if you cough up within the time allowed (i.e. before you have a chance to challenge it).

I know because my wife was caught on a bus lane camera. Sounds unforgivable but actually given time, place, conditions etc. was doing no-one any harm and not being used to jump a queue (she thought she need to get over to the left for imminent roundabout). I have no doubt that at worst she might have got a talking to if a human had been involved.

On the A312 up from the M4 towards the A40/M40 it's routine to see only the right-hand lane of the dual carriageway in use even though the left-hand lane is only a bus lane during peak hours. There is a camera on this stretch, so I suppose the locals don't want to take the risk and/or can't read the times on the bus lane signs. Once you cross the A40 on the same road the bus lane suddenly becomes all day long. Not sure it's that great an idea to bring in more things like this - between having eyes glued to speedo and bus lane signs, there's not a lot of time to spot other hazards.

Stuart
stuartb

Postby vonhosen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:02 pm

stuartb wrote:Revenue from non-speed cameras goes to local councils but apparently has to be used on roads expenditure (more speed bumps then).

Did you know you have no right to go to court if you are caught on one of these? There is some other body (I forget the details now), but in London the fine is £100 reduced to £50 if you cough up within the time allowed (i.e. before you have a chance to challenge it).

They are not FPNs they are PCNs (Penalty Charge Notices). They are a civil penalty, not a criminal prosecution hence you have no criminal court hearing (you may end up with county court where you don't pay up).

This is what happens with parking offences & bus lanes (with some other offences) have been added to the list of "offences" that can be dealt with this way. Expect more & more minor traffic offences to go this way, away from Police enforcement & to local authority penalties.

If you want to appeal against your PCN you go before an adjudicator.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Is that better or worse ?
Nigel

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03 pm

Nigel wrote:Is that better or worse ?

Civil law balance of probablity.

Criminal law beyond a reasonable doubt.

I know which one I would prefer in criminal case they have to prove you guilty in civil law people often end up having to prove their innocence(applied to minor road traffic cases in my experience).

Also the councils and their contractors are out to make a profit the police authority traffic wardens were never there to do that.
Standard Dave

Postby Big Err » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:32 am

Standard Dave wrote:Also the councils and their contractors are out to make a profit the police authority traffic wardens were never there to do that.

Profit for the Contractor, the Council calls it Revenue which can then be re-used to pay for a re-organisation, re-badging, civic receptions, social work overspend, education overspend, refurbishing Council Chambers oh and maybe a little might go towards roads maintenance or road safety.

Eric
Cynical again?
Big Err

Postby rlmr » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Big Err wrote:Profit for the Contractor, the Council calls it Revenue which can then be re-used to pay for a re-organisation, re-badging, civic receptions, social work overspend, education overspend, refurbishing Council Chambers oh and maybe a little might go towards roads maintenance or road safety.

Eric
Cynical again?

Nope, just your customary factual approach... however you'd better watch Eric as the Council still pay your wages... they only pay my pension :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Big Err » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:52 pm

rlmr wrote:however you'd better watch Eric as the Council still pay your wages... they only pay my pension :wink:

Don't tell the boss..
(the work one)
Big Err

Postby rlmr » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Big Err wrote:Don't tell the boss..
(the work one)

The one in the middle :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Previous

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help