More Camera Plans

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:41 pm

BBC: Camera plan to catch bad drivers

I'm torn between applauding the inclusion of things other than speed and worrying that the automation of things that ought (IMHO) to be enforced with human discretion will have a negative effect on all sorts of things...

Discuss!

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby 7db » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:01 pm

I already commented on the 36 pages of comments the BBC have posted up.
7db

Postby James » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:07 pm

When do these cameras plan to be running by and do they have to be painted yellow?
James

Postby 7db » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:16 pm

There are already plenty in London, and they aren't yellow.
7db

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:28 pm

James wrote:When do these cameras plan to be running by and do they have to be painted yellow?

I've always been unsure whether the "painted yellow" thing was a good idea or not.

On the one hand, painting them yellow makes them easy to spot which emphasises the "preventative" part of their nature. On the other hand, if they were more covert, then they surely have the potential to be effective over a larger area, avoiding the behaviour pattern of people slowing down only right where the camera is...

Any opinions on that?

Cheers & God bless
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby 7db » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Paint them yellow.

Currently the only justification that I can come up with for the massed ranks of speed cameras (which these in the OP aren't), is that you frankly have to be speeding *and* not paying attention to get caught.
7db

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:09 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:
James wrote:When do these cameras plan to be running by and do they have to be painted yellow?

I've always been unsure whether the "painted yellow" thing was a good idea or not.

On the one hand, painting them yellow makes them easy to spot which emphasises the "preventative" part of their nature. On the other hand, if they were more covert, then they surely have the potential to be effective over a larger area, avoiding the behaviour pattern of people slowing down only right where the camera is...

Any opinions on that?

Cheers & God bless

Yes, thanks for asking.

I prefer to see the blighters, otherwise I've got to keep the speed down everywhere. Not keen on that!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Big Err » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:25 pm

The yellow or high visibility marked cameras/vans are a requirement for the operation of a safety camera scheme. No revenue will be returned to a camera partnership if the location used does not meet the requirements/does not have camera signs on the approaches/is not painted yellow or situated in a hi visi marked vehicle. This doesnt mean that the camera cannot be used and fines dished out, it only means that all the revenue will go to central government with no return to the operator.

I don't know if the cameras in the article will fall into a camera partnership scheme.

Eric
Big Err

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:59 pm

Big Err wrote:

The yellow or high visibility marked cameras/vans are a requirement for the operation of a safety camera scheme. No revenue will be returned to a camera partnership if the location used does not meet the requirements/does not have camera signs on the approaches/is not painted yellow or situated in a hi visi marked vehicle. This doesnt mean that the camera cannot be used and fines dished out, it only means that all the revenue will go to central government with no return to the operator.

I don't know if the cameras in the article will fall into a camera partnership scheme.

Eric

From next year netting off is going & with it the need to be painted yellow.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Tony Hoyle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:23 pm

Big Err wrote:The yellow or high visibility marked cameras/vans are a requirement for the operation of a safety camera scheme. No revenue will be returned to a camera partnership if the location used does not meet the requirements/does not have camera signs on the approaches/is not painted yellow or situated in a hi visi marked vehicle. This doesnt mean that the camera cannot be used and fines dished out, it only means that all the revenue will go to central government with no return to the operator.

Interesting.. there are series of green cameras not far from here - does that mean they don't generate any revenues for the council? Wonder why they keep them?
Tony Hoyle

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:06 pm

In principle I can see the benefits of these, we all witness missuse of bus lanes, wrong way up one way streets, parking on double yellows to get a bag of chips etc (normally accompanied by an admission of guilt by switching their hazard lights on ).

But in principle I could see the benefits of speed cameras to start with...then it just became an anti car crusade.

What it should mean is the local authorities will have to clean their act up on road markings and signage, in Worcester we have a box junction that the driver cannot see the exit before he enters it, we also have a large A road direction sign that shows what lane is for which direction (four lanes), then the road markings actually show something different.

Does anyone know the legality of some road signs ? (Von for example), as I'm seeing more & more blue background signs used on non motorway roads.
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Nigel wrote:In principle I can see the benefits of these, we all witness missuse of bus lanes, wrong way up one way streets, parking on double yellows to get a bag of chips etc (normally accompanied by an admission of guilt by switching their hazard lights on ).

But in principle I could see the benefits of speed cameras to start with...then it just became an anti car crusade.

What it should mean is the local authorities will have to clean their act up on road markings and signage, in Worcester we have a box junction that the driver cannot see the exit before he enters it, we also have a large A road direction sign that shows what lane is for which direction (four lanes), then the road markings actually show something different.

Does anyone know the legality of some road signs ? (Von for example), as I'm seeing more & more blue background signs used on non motorway roads.

There are lots of blue non motorway signs.
It's the blue route boards that are motorway specific
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:15 pm

I'm seeing more and more blue background speed limit signs, and in Devon I've even seen parts of the highway code on large blue background signs.
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Nigel wrote:I'm seeing more and more blue background speed limit signs, and in Devon I've even seen parts of the highway code on large blue background signs.

Like this ?
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/02311395.gif
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Yes for the speed limit signs....30 mph repeaters in lit areas tsk tsk tsk lol.

The highway code stuff I saw in devon was all the nsl speed limits for different classes of vehicles, I recognised it from the hc, but there is too much info to read whilst driving.
Nigel

Next

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help