More Camera Plans

Suggestions for site improvements. Forum and Advanced Driving UK announcements such as events, changes to the system and general information people should know about.

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Nigel wrote:Yes for the speed limit signs....30 mph repeaters in lit areas tsk tsk tsk lol.

Ah but it's not a repeater sign. For it to be a repeater sign it would have to be a speed limit sign on it's own, otherwise it doesn't qualify as one. The blue camera warning & limit reminder together isa desiganted sign all of it's own.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:52 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Nigel wrote:Yes for the speed limit signs....30 mph repeaters in lit areas tsk tsk tsk lol.

Ah but it's not a repeater sign. For it to be a repeater sign it would have to be a speed limit sign on it's own, otherwise it doesn't qualify as one. The blue camera warning & limit reminder together isa desiganted sign all of it's own.

These signs aren't in my book, are they a new design ? I've got the 11th edition...2004

The only blue sign with reference to speed in there is a min speed limit, although it is a bit different.
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Nigel wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

These signs aren't in my book, are they a new design ? I've got the 11th edition...2004

The only blue sign with reference to speed in there is a min speed limit, although it is a bit different.

The piccy I gave you a link to is from The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. Not all the legal signs are in the highway code.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:12 pm

Its not the highway code I was looking at.

I was issued with a book by the IAM, written by dept of transport called "know your traffic signs"
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Nigel wrote:Its not the highway code I was looking at.

I was issued with a book by the IAM, written by dept of transport called "know your traffic signs"

I doubt *every* legal sign is in there either.
(Well evidently not anyway :D )
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:17 pm

So how are we supposed to know what they intend these signs to mean then ?

( I know most are obvious, but some leave me wondering).
Nigel

Postby James » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:19 pm

The blue sign with camera is depicted as a "reminder" of a speed limit ahead. It also reminds that speed camera's are in use. So this must them mean that the limit referred to within it is not enforcable "at that stage". A speed limit sign in a blue box is not a speed limit... so some of these sings are informative only (i.e they are not giving a direction, so you cannot contravene them).
James

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:27 pm

James wrote:The blue sign with camera is depicted as a "reminder" of a speed limit ahead. It also reminds that speed camera's are in use. So this must them mean that the limit referred to within it is not enforcable "at that stage".

Trouble is the not enforcable speed limit is in a red circle.

Just as annoying as the count down markers to a lower speed limit, where each of the count down markers also contains the new lower speed limit that is being approached, but again displayed in a red ring.

I often wonder about the legality of advance warning of lowered speed limits for roadworks, where the not in force speed limit is displayed on a huge circular sign with a red border, then on a small sign below it says "in 3/4 mile".

Designed to mislead.

People get caught out and stop trusting the signs they see.

Time was, I would see a lower speed limit in the distance and lift off in plenty of time to let my speed drop to the new limit at the point of the sign. These days I'm double guessing.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Nigel wrote:So how are we supposed to know what they intend these signs to mean then ?

( I know most are obvious, but some leave me wondering).

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, trawl the TSR&GD :D
vonhosen

Postby James » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Yes but the red circle is surrounded by blue. The limit is not enforcable until the formal speed limit sign is present.
James

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
James wrote:The blue sign with camera is depicted as a "reminder" of a speed limit ahead. It also reminds that speed camera's are in use. So this must them mean that the limit referred to within it is not enforcable "at that stage".

Trouble is the not enforcable speed limit is in a red circle.

Just as annoying as the count down markers to a lower speed limit, where each of the count down markers also contains the new lower speed limit that is being approached, but again displayed in a red ring.

I often wonder about the legality of advance warning of lowered speed limits for roadworks, where the not in force speed limit is displayed on a huge circular sign with a red border, then on a small sign below it says "in 3/4 mile".

Designed to mislead.

People get caught out and stop trusting the signs they see.

Time was, I would see a lower speed limit in the distance and lift off in plenty of time to let my speed drop to the new limit at the point of the sign. These days I'm double guessing.

It is an enforceable limit, it just isn't strictly speaking a speed limit sign, it's an information sign.

The countdown to a mandatory speed limit in roadworks is legal too, of course the limit applies from the terminal board not the advance warning though, which is image 7290
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ia.gif
Last edited by vonhosen on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 pm

I like the road works signs telling me what the new limit is going to be.

I also like the countdown markers doing the same.

I dislike going around a bend, having a 30 or 40 mph speed limit reduction thrusted upon me, with a scamera waiting !
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:36 pm

James wrote:Yes but the red circle is surrounded by blue. The limit is not enforcable until the formal speed limit sign is present.

And in the case of the one I posted a link to (a 30 limit), there will be no repeaters present (if streetlamps are).
vonhosen

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:11 am

vonhosen wrote:The countdown to a mandatory speed limit in roadworks is legal too, of course the limit applies from the terminal board not the advance warning though, which is image 7290
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ia.gif

I've seen signs approaching roadworks where there is no yellow rectangular sign. Instead there is a big round sign with a red border, such as you would see at the start of the lowered limit, but separate and below a much smaller rectangular sign which says "in 3/4 mile".

From a distance, only the 'speed limit' is seen. Only when the unwary driver has got close does he see the qualifying text, and finds, to the sounds of irate horns, he has annoyed the locals who know it wasn't necessary to slow down so soon. And who are swerving around him :(
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:15 am

Nigel wrote:I like the road works signs telling me what the new limit is going to be.

I also like the countdown markers doing the same.

I dislike going around a bend, having a 30 or 40 mph speed limit reduction thrusted upon me, with a scamera waiting !

I found one of these very recently, coming around a corner in an NSL, there were (30) signs on both sides of the road about 5m before the first house of the village the 30 was for, *both* signs were partially obscured by trees. Thankfully there was no scamera and my reflexes / brakes were up to the job of slowing to 30 anyway. If I lived in that village, I'd definitely be keen to see at least one of: an extension of the 30 to the straight, countdown markers, a 40 zone further out, a "slow down" sign.

As a motorist, I would appreciate the countdowns most.

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, Improvements and Forum Help